Wednesday, March 14, 2012

My Computer Will Make My Life Better

My poor, sad MacBook was dying a painful and annoying death. I couldn't write any documents (even Google docs was poopoo-ing my computer), couldn't download or upgrade any programs, couldn't process any photos, and so on and so forth. It crept along slowly; thwarting any attempts at growing my business. So, now it's been relegated to the "sitting-on-the-couch-surfing-the-internet-or-lying-in-bed-watching-netflix" device. And in it's position is my new, awesome, gonna-make-my-life-better iMac!
LOVE!!!
In the past 5 days I've been able to research wholesale selling, download a few of my images that I recently took of my new collection, practiced working in Microsoft Word, made two price lists, and began working on my catalog. Hee Heeeee!
It's the little things....well....maybe not so little. It's bigger than my tele! I feel like I can get things done! I can accomplish all the things I want to do with my business. Designing jewelry, making jewelry, and packaging it.... all that's no problem. It's the marketing, business research, communication,  record keeping, writing, cataloging, profit/lossing...and blah, blah, blah, that's hard to do. But now, watch out! It's all starting to come together. It's like the lack of technology was the missing link in my evolutionary life as an artist/entrepreneur.
In any industry it's hard to make quality items without the proper tools. Sometimes, as an artist used to making 3-D items, it's hard to remember that technology is equally as important. If I can't get my images out there, provide price lists or catalogs for my customers, if I can't reach out to the greater community, I can't do business. Struggling along with my laptop really put that into the for-front of my mind.
Now, if I can just figure out how to sync my iPhone to my iMac without losing ALL of my information like I did the day before yesterday. Now that was not so awesome. But this computer is mega awesome and WAY more tech than I can handle. I feel like I've grabbed on to 21st century tech and I'm flying in the wind like a tattered and slightly bewildered flag. But that's okay. I'll figure it out one of these days. Probably by the time I fully understand this computer it'll be a dinosaur like my MacBook.
But that's okay. I accept my limitations (which have now been greatly lessened by my cool apple-ness).
Did I mention how much I LOVE my new iMac?

1 comment:

  1. Are you teaching still at Multnomah art center? I know the catalog came out but I haven't looked?

    ReplyDelete